Sunday, April 8, 2012

Picture Book 31: How I Became a Pirate


Author: Melinda Long
Title: How I Became a Pirate
Illustrator: David Shannon
Genre: Comedy and Humor
Sub-genre:
Theme: Family, imagination
Primary and secondary characters: Jeremy
Award(s):
Date of publication: September 1, 2003
Publishing company: Harcourt, Inc.
Brief summary: Jeremy was just a young boy, minding his own business, building a sand castle on the beach when all of a sudden he is surrounded by pirates! The pirates are all wonderful and fun guys who are in need of a digger to dig a hole for their treasure chest, and Jeremy just so happens to be a wonderful digger! Jeremy is having fun, but he soon misses his parents. What will he do next?
How you would use the book with students.: I would use this book to discuss how imagination is a powerful thing. We could also discuss pirates and the importance of those who love us.

No comments:

Post a Comment